25 June 2022
10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Join us in the alleys at Wakelyns with RealVeg CSA growers, Holly, Chloe and Rachel, and us bakers and cooks from the bakery, Henrietta and Maisie to experience all things field to fork and learn –
- about Wakelyns Organic Agroforestry, the YQ and Q population wheats and how to cook and bake with them, learning skills that you can adapt to other grains
- how RealVeg and Wakelyns Bakery created their businesses and how they work together as stacked enterprises on the farm
- about no-dig, growing your own vegetables, how a CSA works how to harvest what’s growing NOW!
- how to bake and cook with what is growing around us – in our own gardens, from local farms and other producers – and how we can seasonally adapt recipes to get the most out of nutrient-rich, local foods, and the ingredients we have to hand
- how and the value of seeking out food producers and suppliers doing good things near you
The course cost includes morning elevenses, made by us, and a two course lunch, made by you! As well as a ‘Cooking with What’s Around Us’ zine to take home
More information below –
The day will start in RealVeg’s alley of vegetables, with a quick introduction to what we all do at Wakelyns and how we collaborate togther. Then we will have a walk of the alley to see what we have in season, talk, touch, smell, feel and explore what we can do with it. We’ll all get our hands in the soil and collectively harvest the produce, and then move over to an outdoor cooking space created for the day in the veg patch, where we’ll cook our lunch together. Finally, we will share a delicious and seasonal meal that we have all had a hand in making, from field to fork, surrounded by the trees of Wakelyns.
We hope that this educational introduction to growing your own food, sourcing and seeking out agroecoligical food producers near you and cooking with what’s around you, will give you the starting-skills, tools and impetus to take your food growing, sourcing or cooking, or all of them, into your own hands, to nourish yourselves in the most joyous and fun way, whilst nourishing our Earth too.
We have low income and standard tickets available. If neither are possible for you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do what we can to make a space for you. See you in the field, we can’t wait!
Bookings are closed for this event.