Who We Are
Hemp Lover – Enthusiast – Creative Entrepreneur
- Claire loves materials and process, how can we get from here to there? how can we make that from this? and how can we have more fun doing it?
Kitty Wilson Brown
Textile Artist Weaver Natural Dyer
- Kitty is a walking rainbow radiating the love of colour with a wealth of knowledge around working with fibre
We are on a quest with 3 goals
- The revival of the hemp for textile industry in East Anglian
- The creation of luxurious colourful patterned hemp fabric
- To work in community, connecting people land and materials
JOIN US FOR OUR 2024 HEMP HARVEST RETREAT – MORE INFORMATION HERE
Working together as Contemporary Hempery Claire O’Sullivan and Kitty Wilson Brown are on a quest to revive the UK hemp weaving industry, restore this incredible plant fibre to its rightful place in every considered wardrobe and bring back the mighty Cannabis Sativa to cultivation across the UK.
The use of hemp fibre for fabric in our country can be traced back to the early medieval period when Anglo Saxons wove Hempenspun for their clothes. Since that time the plant was in continuous cultivation. Yes, for more than a thousand years we grew our own clothes right here, until 1925 the the last Norfolk hemp weaving company closed. Back then no one cared about regenerative crops, we hadn’t yet degenerated our soils with chemicals, but today the fact hemp requires no fertiliser, no herbicide, no pesticide and no irrigation is huge part of its appeal.